- Speaker: Jeroen Maljers
- Company: Managing Director at Swydo
- Website: https://www.swydo.com/
- Twitter: @jeroenmaljers
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/internetstrategy/
- Link to the slides: Pending
What was the talk about?
Jeroen highlighted how clients can easily get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to data reports. Without a visual framework that provides a form to your data, your client won’t be impressed. By using data visualisation tools, focusing on 3-5 key metrics, and giving your report a clear narrative, you can better serve your clients (and your agency too).
— Jess Brice (@jess_brice_) April 12, 2019
“Seeing the same report on a regular basis detracts from its importance to the intended reader.”
Potential impact on the industry
Client reports are something every agency has to deal with. But while we know they’re important, it’s easy to overlook how the delivery of data can affect its perception. This is especially important when you are dealing with SEO-sceptical clients. A story with a clear, visualised narrative will land better than one without.
- Make your story easy to read — it should be intuitive to the reader.
- Focus on 3-5 key metrics.
- Keep it short, simple, and fun to read — add emotion to engage the reader.
- Give your client an opportunity to interact — without this, a story is useless.